Henry and Janet Lewis are alumni from the classes of 1947 and 1948
Mr. Lewis began work with Colwill Construction Co. and was later an estimator and project manager for W.H. Ward Co. He supervised construction projects at Franklin middle and high schools and Hannah More Academy.
In 1966, Mr. Lewis formed his own company, Henry H. Lewis Contractors Inc., in Owings Mills. Henry has since past, but Janet continues the scholarship in their name.
The Schad Family Memorial Scholarship
Theodore Schad, III (Mac) Class of 1935, created scholarships via his will to honor his parents, William H. and Emma M. Schad, in appreciation of the hard work and sacrifices in making a home and a good life for their children during the 1920s and 1930s
The Betty Jenkins Memorial Scholarship
Scott Jenkins Class of 1972 funds the Betty Jenkins Memorial Scholarship. Betty was Principal at Glyndon Elementary for many years.
The Gene and Shirley Bond Memorial Scholarship
Dave Bond Class of 1975 and his sister Sue Chambers Class of 1977, both very successful business owners have established a scholarship in memory of their Parents Gene and Shirley Bond.
Thomas Rowe Price Scholarship
In the Class of 1914 there was a 16 year old ready to graduate. According to the Dial then this person was a prankster, his specialty was teasing the girl. He was a member of the Franklin Literary Society, and when he is on the program, his class looked forward to being highly entertained. His nickname was “Doc”, his favorite slang was “by George”, his accomplishment was “playing tennis” and he was famous for his “long legs”. In the “Wanted” section of the yearbook, he stated that he needed “50 lbs of fat”.
In 1937, he founded his famous investment firm and sold it to his former employees in 1971.
That graduated is known now as T. Rowe Price. With the helping hand of Renee Christoph, Global Associate Engagement + Corporate Responsibility, The Alumni Association is very proud to Present the “Thomas Rowe Price Scholarship” to four students with opportunity to renew each year for 4 years.
The Chaney Family Scholarship
Chip, Mark and Jeff Chaney, who graduated in 1971, 1973 and 1975, have gone different directions in their careers and where they decided to live. However, they all look back on their years at FHS as ones where they gained a good education, had a chance to play on various of the school’s teams, and made lifelong friendships. Chip has a dental practice in Tallahassee, Florida. Mark resides in Cockeysville, is the CFO at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield and is Board Director for United Way of Central MD. Jeff lives in Hawaii and is the Director of Marine Corps Community Services on the island of Oahu.
The brothers believe that having the opportunity to participate in athletics, while preparing for their education after FHS, taught them valuable lessons that can’t be learned in a classroom. Therefore, they have requested that The Chaney Family Scholarship be established and awarded each year to a student that has demonstrated the ability to be successful in their educational goals, while being able to contribute to the school’s athletic programs.
Class of 1970s OC Golf Group – Coaches Darr, Wescott and Herring
For a number of year’s a group of 1970s graduates have come together in OC for a weekend of golf, remembering stories of decades past, and just catching up with each other. They have been joined by Coaches Darr, Wescott and Herring. The group has gone in many directions over the past forty years. The three things that they have in common is that they attended Franklin H. S., most played on one or more teams of the three coaches, and that each believe they have benefited from those experiences in some way. With this friendship this group has established this scholarship.
The Max St. Clair Amoss, Jr. Science Scholarship
Mr. Max St. Clair Amoss, Jr., Class of 1956, is a Professor Emeritus at Texas A&M University He has established this scholarship to be awarded to a student that shows interest in continuing education in Agricultural Sciences to Quantum Physics.
The John and Elaine (Uhler) Baseman (Class of '44) Scholarship
The scholarship sponsored by Nancy Baseman Marchman (Class of '72) to honor her parents.
The Alumni Association – At large
Each year The Alumni Association awarded numerous scholarships based upon the amount of donations received during the previous year.
Franklin Academy, named for American statesman Benjamin Franklin, was established in 1820 as a private boys’ school of liberal arts. In January of 1821, the General Assembly of Maryland officially appointed nine trustees and awarded them $400 for the creation of the Academy.
Classes were first held in the home of Miss Mary Richardson on Main Street (218 Main Street today). However, the town recognized the need for a real schoolhouse. Enough money was raised by public subscription, by donations of materials and labor, and by a political barbeque so that by 1826 the students occupied a brand new building, the same one that houses today part of the Reisterstown Branch of Baltimore County Public Library. Additionally, a cupola was added that housed the school bell; it was rung the very first time on July 4, 1826, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the United States. That same bell is currently located at the present Franklin High School and is rung the first day of school, by the most senior faculty member, to begin each school year.
In the earliest days, students paid tuition and could choose from three academic paths: Classical ($25 yearly), Mathematical ($16), and Rudimentary ($12). Hours of attendance from the vernal to the autumnal equinox were from 8:00 AM to noon and from 2:00 PM to 5 PM. From the autumnal to the vernal equinox, hours were from 9:00 AM to noon and from 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM. Two vacations were granted: one three-week one beginning the first Monday in August and the other two-week one starting on Christmas Day. Good Friday and July Fourth each merited one day’s vacation.
Franklin Academy was one of the very few schools of its type in the greater area. A number of students came from far distances and had to board in town during the week and only go home on weekends. A popular story passed down, which was recently proven, says that Edge Allan Poe applied to be a teacher here in 1831, but his application was not accepted by the trustees. In 1847 the first “female teacheress” was hired and in 1849, there was one girl in attendance—the daughter of the principal.
In 1847, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation creating public schools in Baltimore County. Two years later, in 1849, the plan of renting of the Franklin Academy building to the County School Commissioners went into effect. It wasn’t until 1874 that the school, the facility having greatly deteriorated, was totally turned over to the County, and the following year, 1875, it was renovated, remodeled, and greatly enlarged. The school was then referred to as Reisterstown High School, although still not regarded as a true high school. However, the school ranked as one of the best in its class in the State of Maryland and it excelled in its ranking with the other County schools. In 1896, the school truly became a high school when ninth grade was added, and the name was changed again, this time to Franklin High School, which it remains today.
By the turn of the century, the old school had outgrown its building and, in 1905, students occupied a brand new school house across Academy Lane (now Cockey’s Mill Road), constructed where the present middle school addition stands. Very shortly, increased attendance and population required an addition to this structure, doubling it in size, which was occupied in 1914. At this time the elementary school children moved over from the old Academy and shared the premises. The 1905/1914 building remained in use until 1965 when it was demolished.
The year 1930 saw yet another high school erected to serve the booming area, this one costing over one-quarter of a million dollars and touted as “Baltimore County’s most modern and best-equipped educational plant.” It still stands today as the middle school at the intersection of Reisterstown and Cockey’s Mill roads.
By the early 1950s, it became apparent that the Reisterstown, Glyndon, and Owings Mills area was growing rapidly, and the answer to the increased school population and the aging of the earlier buildings was the construction of the present Franklin High School in 1960, located further south on Reisterstown Road, followed by a southern addition in 2000.
As for the old Academy building, it sat idle for a while but was eventually refurbished to serve as a school bus garage; the agricultural department for the high school, including poultry and pigs; and, in 1961, the Reisterstown Branch of the Baltimore County Public Library, which it remains today.
Ann B. O’Neill Reisterstown Branch, BCPL Updated January 2019